Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dear Girl

I found this cute and sweet "letter" on the other side of one of our scratch papers. Sometimes, you actually do get to find treasures among "trash", after all. :)

Dear Girl,

I feel that the time has come for me to have a girlfriend. I know you're out there somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find you.

And when I do, I hope that you will love me because I'm Derek, not because I'm Mike's younger brother. I hope you won't be embarrassed when my clothes don't match, or be annoyed when I want to watch the Lakers on ESPN, instead of Party of Five.

I hope that you will remember I play soccer, not football, and that I play midfield, not defense, and that every weekend I live with my dad.

I pray that you'll love me despite my tendency to forget birthdays, and if your parents invite me to dinner, please write their names really small on my hand so I can use it for reference.

Please know that I will constantly act strong and in control, but inside I am actually lost and confused. (Just don't tell my friends.) Please don't worry if I hurt myself skateboarding. Instead, be there to mend my wounds with kisses.

Understand that loving each other means being together, but not all the time. We should never bail on our friends. Also understand that I may at times act jealous or overly protective, but only because I have insecurities not because you are doing anything wrong.

And if we fall out of love with one another, please don't hate me. And if I cry in front of you, please don't laugh at me. Please know that I am sensitive... in a manly, tough kind of way.

Please be honest with me without being hurtful. After all, I am a boy. And I promise to always be honest with you, because you deserve honesty. And I promise to open doors for you and buy your ticket when we go to the movies. 

And no, you aren't fat, so please don't constantly ask. And you don't need makeup either. Oh, and don't be upset if you cut your hair and I don't notice. I will love you even in Levi's and a T-shirt.

I hope you don't think I'm asking too much of you. I just want to be happy making you happy. I'm coming to find you, so don't go anywhere. Stay where you are, whoever you are. And by the way, my name's Derek.

Yours Always,
 Derek

(written by Derek Whittier)



No comments:

Post a Comment