Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Curry Couscous with Shrimp & Zucchini



I love the couscous in Cyma... it's flavorful and I feel like I'm eating healthy! But of course, with the prices in Cyma, you cannot eat there often.

Couscous is definitely healthier than white rice and pasta. I got the information below from Wikipedia:

Couscous is among the healthiest grain-based products. It has a glycemic load per gram 25% below that of pasta. It has a superior vitamin profile to pasta, containing twice as much riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, and folate, and containing four times as much thiamine and pantothenic acid.

In terms of protein, couscous has 3.6 g for every 100 calories, equivalent to pasta, and well above the 2.6 g for every 100 calories of white rice. Furthermore, couscous contains a 1% fat-to-calorie ratio, compared to 3% for white rice, 5% for pasta, and 11.3% for rice pilaf.

However, since the Philippines is a white rice-eating country, it's very difficult to get couscous and if you can get it (they have it at Healthy Options), it is so so expensive!

So when my friend in the US offered to sell me a box of instant couscous, I jumped at the chance to try my own home-made couscous at home!

Here comes my first home-made couscous: Curry Couscous with Shrimp & Zucchini!


Doesn't that look yummy? :)

Since I used instant couscous, it was very easy to make.

1. Boil water with salt, olive oil, sliced onions and shrimp shells. Leave to boil over low heat for around 5 minutes to allow the shrimp shells to flavor the broth.

2. Remove the shrimp shells and put in curry (I use curry cubes), basil leaves, salt and pepper.

3. Sprinkle couscous to the boiling broth, mix well and cover pot. Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes (to allow the couscous to fluff up)

4. In a separate skillet, saute lots of minced garlic, shrimp (with shells removed) and zucchini. Flavor with salt and pepper, as desired.

5. Check the couscous after 5 minutes. It should be cooked by now. Fluff the cooked couscous with fork and top with the cooked garlic, shrimp and zucchini. Mix well.

6. Add more salt and pepper, if needed. 

There you have it... a quick, healthy and tasty dish! Yum!

I gotta make some more soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment