Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 25, 2010

Let's Bring Back Operation Smile

What will you do if you received an anonymous act of kindness with this card?
I bet it will make you smile and feel that the world is a better place...
I introduced these smile cards to my work department 2-3 years ago, along with a challenge to do an act of kindness for the person in the department, whose name is printed at the back of the card. I also gave them additional 2 cards for them to keep the smile cards going.
Fast forward to 2010... the smile card with my own name on it is still displayed on top of my work computer keyboard, already brownish on some areas, the 'kindness tips' card I got along with the cards are still posted inside each of the two cubicles of the my office's ladies' room... unfortunately, the smile cards have stopped circulating around. I gave out my 2 additional cards anonymously but they didn't come back anymore.
I've gotten so used to seeing the smile card and 'kindness tips' cards around my office that I guess I've become immune to what they used to signify to me.
Reading the http://www.dailygood.org/ newsletter yesterday was a good reminder as the Be The Change portion says: Brainstorm ways you can make a difference through Facebook, or any social network you belong to, today.

It accompanied a
story about how a group of individuals were able to help a former classmate via Facebook. It's an inspiring story of how ordinary people like ourselves can truly make a difference by working together. Please do check it out.

You don't need a smile card to extend an act of kindness to other people, but in case you need something tangible for motivation, you may avail of them from
http://www.helpothers.org/. And yes! They really do ship for free!
As for the difference that I can make through my blog today, it's sharing the smile cards to you all. I know it's nothing big or earth-shattering, but I hope that through this simple post... you're encouraged to do something kind and unexpected for someone today. You never know just how much the other person might be needing it! Let's all work together to bring back "Operation Smile"!!!
The fragrance always remains on the hand that gives the rose. -Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment